2.09.2015

January Reading


Hey! I'm posting about my reading list two months in a row. I'm pretty proud of myself. Without a doubt, my favorite read of the month was Still Alice. Check out my thoughts on my other reads below:

LegendProdigy, and Champion by Marie Lu

Ah dystopian societies, how I love you. The final book didn't end in the typical everyone ends up happy fashion. I always hate when that happens. And I greatly appreciate it. It's really a love hate relationship kind of thing. While this trilogy wasn't my favorite, its a worthwhile read if you love the genre.

Just One Day by Gayle Forman

I was a big fan of If I Stay and Where She Went. This book was such a fun, quick read. There is something very comfortable about Gayle Forman's writing style. It's total fluff but very enjoyable.

Just One Year by Gayle Forman

I so wanted this book to be what happened next. Spoiler alert...it wasn't. It was what happened to Williem. While it fills in the gaps, I didn't want a whole book worth of his story. I wanted what happened between them next.

Let It Snow by John Green, Maureen Johnson, and Lauren Myracle

Ugh. That's about what I have to say about this book. I picked it up because of John Green. It's a loosely related collection of three stories that happen over Christmas. I liked the first one just fine. I tolerated the story by John Green. I barely got started with the third story before calling it.

Bringing Up Bébé by Pamela Druckerman

The sociologist in me was so intrigued by the premiss of this book. Basically, its a look at how French parenting differs from parenting in the US. It is written by an expat journalist who is married to a nomadic British man and living in Paris. It was an ok read...nothing fantastic. I guess I just wanted a little more research and a little less color. Plus, the author was very whiney about living in Paris.

Still Alice by Lisa Genova

This was just a beautiful book. Alice is in her early 50s and an incredibly accomplished psychologist. The book follows her journey to diagnosis and the aftermath of early onset Alzheimer's. While I want to smack the husband from time to time, it is such a genuine and raw portrayal of how life alters when you are diagnosed with a devastating disease.

Any suggestions for what I should be reading this month?

No comments:

Post a Comment