3.23.2015

Izzy Top {or for the love of liberty}


It's time to start beefing up Emma's spring wardrobe. I buy a good hunk of Emma's clothes at a glorious consignment sale. Even though she has more than enough, I love adding handmade pieces. Thankfully, Emma still thinks mama made are the best!


This fabric is to die for. It's voile from Liberty of London. Last year, my dad went on a retirement celebration trip touring China and Japan. I sent him a map of Tokyo's fabric district and requested a couple of meters. Boy oh boy did my dad come through! He brought me home three different meter cuts of Liberty of London as well as two other cute cottons. I've honesty been a bit scared to cut into them. With Emma growing like a weed (and therefore needing more than a yard for most patterns), I decided it was now or never.



The top was a free pattern. Oh how I love free patterns! The Izzy Top from Climbing the Willow comes in size 18m through 12. For free! It's a great pattern for those wanting to venture into kiddo clothes sewing. And for more advance sewers, its a super quick and wonderful looking sew!



I sewed up a 4t with 5t length. I almost always sew the next size up in length. Kiddo is tall. She always seems to grow up, not out of clothes. With the luscious Liberty, I want it to last as long as possible.



This top was my first time using my new KAM snap setter. While I'm still working out the kinks, I'm thrilled to reduce the number of button holes I have to sew. (I got my snap setter and snaps from Etsy.)

I think I'll make a Dessert Rose next! What's your favorite pattern these days?

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this fabric! You are lucky to have a dad like that. I'm pretty sure mine would look at me like I had grown an extra head if I asked him to pick up fabric for me :)

    Thanks for the lovely pattern review too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comment, Teri! And a HUGE thanks for the wonderful pattern! You're so generous with your talent!

      Delete